As you may have read last week, one of my favorite Glamour articles of all time has to be “30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know By the Time She’s 30.” Just turning 24 two weeks ago, I feel I should be about half way through this list. This week, I’m cover the “should knows” (last week I covered the “must haves”).
By 30, you should know:
1. How to fall in love without losing yourself. This one took me a while, but I feel I’m finally there.
2. How you feel about having kids. I know I want them…when my niece is old enough to babysit.
3. How to quit a job, break up with a man and confront a friend without ruining the friendship. Two down. One to go.
4. When to try harder and when to walk away. I’m trying to master this, because somethings are just too good to let go of and other things are better left alone.
5. How to kiss in a way that communicates perfectly what you would and wouldn’t like to happen next. It comes in handy.
6. The names of: the secretary of state, your great-grandmother and the best tailor in town. Again, 2 down, one to go.
8. How to take control of your own birthday. Although, the hardest part is not being able to stop it from coming around again.
9. That you can’t change the length of your calves, the width of your hips or the nature of your parents. You gotta learn to love it all.
10. That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over.
11. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love. You have to draw the line somewhere. Sometimes, these are the hardest decisions in life, especially the latter.
12. That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs or not flossing for very long. Check, check, check, and check. Besides, you really can’t afford the extra doctor’s bills anyway.
13. Who you can trust, who you can’t and why you shouldn’t take it personally. This one seems to unfold at the most inconvenient times in my life.
14. Not to apologize for something that isn’t your fault. Enough said.
15. Why they say life begins at 30. Okay, I’m only 24, but I so believe in thirty, flirty, and thriving.