One of my favorite Glamour articles of all time has to be “30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know By the Time She’s 30.” Just turning 24 last week, I feel I should be about half way through this list. This week, I’ll cover the “must haves” and next week I’ll cover the “should knows.” Here we go…
By 30, you should have:
1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come. Check and check. I’m ever so grateful for these boys, because without them, I would not be who I am today. So even though they cost me heartbreak and loneliness and nights spent crying on my sister’s shoulder, they were totally worth it.
2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family. I have a bookcase that I absolutely adore :) The rest will come, I’m sure…
3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour. Get the dress. You know the one. Just in case.
4. A purse, a suitcase and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying. Since I travel a lot, this was one of the first things I checked off my list.
5. A youth you’re content to move beyond. Because you know it was a pretty fantastic one.
6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age. Definitely CHECKED OFF the list.
7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age—and some money set aside to help fund it. Getting there…
8. An e-mail address, a voice mailbox and a bank account—all of which nobody has access to but you. Having your own identity may be the most important thing of all.
9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded. Thankfully, I had great parents who got me started in the right direction.
10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry. I’m lucky to have more than one of each.
11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill and a black lace bra. I have two of these checked off.
12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it. Not yet, but it’s coming soon. See #18.
13. The belief that you deserve it.
14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30.
15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship and all those other facets of life that do get better.
What do you think are the most important things to have in your 20s?
Link to original article here.